Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Menu Plan Monday- October 20th, 2008



So last week was just about disastrous with dinners. I"m a new mom, new wife, and new cook and that adds up to possible mistakes; especially since I tend to strive for perfection. Perfectionism is something I realized while going through seminary and some counseling (shout out to Dr. Roy). I almost fear, to try something if I know I can't do it well. If I talk myself into it, and it (or I) flop, I become disappointed in myself and find the cookie dough! All that to say, its been a challenge to attempt cooking, because I desire to cook well for my family and have them ALL eat! I've cooked things that didn't turn out so great, and cooked things that the kids just wouldn't eat. It's an ongoing challenge to push myself to continue learning, and cooking in a way that teaches my children not to be picky, and eat well.  I have really found that I enjoy cooking and being in the kitchen, but I do not enjoy meals that flop! Edwin has helped me with this alot, by encouraging me not to put so much pressure on myself. He's happy with grilled cheese, so anything more than that is gravy to him! This week is a new week. I"m not going to cook something new every night (what was I thinking?!), but blend something new with things we know we love. Here's my plan for the week:

Monday- Garlic sausage spaghetti 
Tuesday- Pork chops with cheesy red potatoes and Zucchini. (I got this red potato and zucchini recipe off the food network)
Wednesday- Kids choice. Tuna salad sandwiches for Edwin and I (this recipe is so yummy! Made with eggs)
Thursday- Cheese soup (I got this recipe from Jessica. Everyone loves it!)
Friday-lemon chicken and veggies.
Saturday- Breakfast: homemade Kolaches Dinner:Homemade Mac and Cheese and Sandwiches. 

I made homemade chocolate chip cookies yesterday and you need the recipe. I usually double the recipe since there's five of us! These are "Edwin's ultimate cookies".
3/4 Cup butter flavored crisco
1 3/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 ts. salt
2 tb. milk
1 tb. vanilla
3/4 ts. baking soda
1 egg
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup pecan pieces (finely chopped) opt. 

Heat oven to 375. 

Cream butter flavor crisco, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla in large bowl. Blend until creamy. Blend in egg. In another bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture, gradually (in mixing bowl or with hand mixer). Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.  Drop rounded Tablespoonfuls of dough on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake  10 minutes for chewy cookies (they will look light and moist) DO NOT OVERBAKE or 11 to 13 minutes for crisp cookies. 

1 comment:

  1. Your menu plan sounds delicious. What time is dinner served? :)

    ReplyDelete